Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thankful...

Today, I am overwhelmed with thankfulness. Thankful for God's hand on Bobby's life, thankful for paramedics, doctors, nurses, policemen and hospitals. Thankful that my boy is upstairs taking a nap. Why am I thankful? Here's the deal:

Tuesday night, Bobby was driving home from work around 9:30pm and got into an accident. He was driving down Greenbrier Pkwy, crossing Volvo Pkwy, when another driver coming the opposite way on Greenbrier made a left hand turn with a red light and slammed into the front of Bobby's car. We don't really know many details about the accident itself...Bobby was knocked out and doesn't remember being at the scene of the accident at all. I know from the amazing, kind lady that called me from the scene(she had witnessed the whole thing) that he was ok, he was able to talk and walk around, and also later heard from her that his engine was on fire and that he wasn't moving when she first got to his car. Scary! The paramedics got there and got him into the ambulance. After talking with Bobby in the ambulance and realizing that he didn't remember anything that happened between getting in the accident and getting in the ambulance, the paramedics decided to take him to Norfolk General instead of Chesapeake General because the trauma unit is so much better. So thankful that they did!

At this point, I had been contacted by the kind lady who witnessed the accident, I also got to talk to Bobby while he was at the scene, but he doesn't remember talking to me. I was completely freaking out, crying, shaking, pacing my house like a crazy lady. I called my brother and he and his wife came over right away to take me to the hospital. SO so SO so SO thankful for them. Matt was the best...he prayed with me, hugged me, called people for me, kept his hand on my leg the whole time we drove to the hospital and just loved on me which was exactly what I needed. Thank you Matty...I am so extremely thankful for you!

We got to the ER and waited until the Chaplin could come and inform me of what was going on with Bobby. He came and told me all they were doing to check him out. They did chest x-rays, an ultrasound(he was complaining of tightness in his abdomen), and a CT scan of his head and neck. But he assured me that Bobby was doing great, very sore but coherant and talking. I was so relieved. Matt and Maggie stayed with me and my sister Christen came up to the hospital too. I was so thankful for the support. Shortly after I got to go back and see Bobby. What a relief to see him! He looked fine. Amazingly his face was not beat up at all...and he came a way with relatively few cuts and bruises. The doctor came in and said that the CT scan was clean(praise God!) and that he had a small cut on one of his kidneys. He said the cut was so small it probably wasn't an issue but that they would keep an eye on it.

Ok, to make a long story short we stayed in the hospital for two nights...we just got home this afternoon. They figured out he had a concussion, he is really sore, his chest on the right side is still pretty painful(they think he may have sprained a muscle in his chest). Yesterday he was having the most horrid migraines, was extremely nauseus and dizzy which worried his doctors and is the reason we had to stay two nights. I'm happy to report that he is doing much better. He is still very sore and his chest is still very painful. He still has a headache but it is more of what you would expect from being in an accident and not the blaring migraine of yesterday. We are both very glad to be home and very thankful for all the prayers, texts, calls and offers to help from all of our family and friends. God truly kept Bobby safe for which I am extremely grateful. Bobby's care is completely totaled...if you could see the picture you would be amazed, like I am, that Bobby came out as unscathed as he did. It could have been so so much worse...but I will not dwell on the could have beens, I dwell in the love of my Savior who kept my boy safe and gave me the strength to endure.

We do covet your prayers. Here are some things you can pray for:

-For Bobby that he would continue to heal, that there would be no lasting effects
-For me that God would continue to give me the strength to care for my boy
-For wisdom and patience as we deal with insurance companies and getting all of the logistics figured out as this has already been a bit stressful

Again, thank you for your prayers! We really feel a peace about everything that can only be explained one way...through the work of our Savior and by the Holy Spirit at work in us.


7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Bek! I am so sorry you had to go through this, but thank God that Bobby will be OK. Poor honey...that is quite a scare. My prayers are with you.
    xoxo
    Nancy
    PS. You are a Reading Yoda!
    PSS. I got a job at UR!
    PSSS. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear everything's ok. We will be praying for you guys! love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO thankful he doing doing ok!! what a scare. God is so good and so kind to protect Bobby and give you guys peace through the whole thing. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest Bek, praying for you and your beloved. May our Father's everlasting arms provide strength, comfort, and healing; and may His Spirit lead you peacefully through the insurance maze! we love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm praying for you guys! it will be a long road with the insurance but the Lord is going to give you wisdom. love you both...nest week i'd love to bring you guys dinner

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha not sure what is up with my comment...doing doing :) you know what I meant!

    ReplyDelete