What comes to your mind when you think of "New Years Resolutions"? I know what comes to mine. I think of all those teenage years of mine when I resolved to not drink soda, not eat chocolate or some other "I will not do such and such" for the whole year! I don't know about you, but those never worked for me. Not once did I make it past week 2(and in some cases day 2). I think it's the word "resolution." It just doesn't sit right with me. I find myself wanting to break whatever resolution I just made. After all, it's only one piece of chocolate, only one Coke.
These days, I've chosen to make goals instead of resolutions. For me, "goals" is a much more manageable word. Don't ask me why because I honestly couldn't tell you why. It just makes me feel more at ease. Like I really could succeed with this goal. This year is no different. Bobby and I both told each other and wrote down our goals for the year. Our idea is to look at the goals throughout the year and see how we are doing. Some of our goals are the same, so that helps me keep on top of it, because I know Bobby will be asking me about it. So, here they are...my goals for 2012:
-Have my quiet time every day(this is a recurring goal I make every year!). This year I have a plan. Thanks to our senior pastor, we found some great Bible reading plans. You can check them out here. The plan we are using is the "Shirkers and Slackers" one. Yup, the name fit so that's what we are doing. And so far(4 days in), so good!
-Keep my house cleaned and organized. I found this site which has a printable/customizable Daily Plan of Attack that I am planning on using to help me accomplish this.
-A friend of mine also started a C.S. Lewis book challenge on facebook. I love C.S. Lewis so I was all in for this! The plan is to read all 22 of Lewis's major works. That's roughly 2 books a month with some leftover time at the end to catch up. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the first book, The Pilgrim's Regress, so I can get started!
- Read more "spiritual" books. I've looked at my reading lists for the past couple of years and noticed how few of those books are ones that nourish my soul. So, I've made a list with some books to read this year which include Kings Cross by Tim Keller, Because He Loves Me by Elise Fitzpatrick and several others.
-Exercise at least 4 times a week(schedule it and DO IT!). I joined a gym this past summer and have really enjoyed Zumba classes and being able to work out inside even when its blazing hot or freezing cold. Bobby's planning on joining this month, so working out together will really help me stick with it.
-Eat healthier and cut out sweets. You heard me, CUT OUT SWEETS! This is going to be a tough one for me, but I'm going to try to do this.
-Lose at least 20lbs by my birthday(May). I don't normally broadcast this kind of goal, but I figured if I really want to do it, I need others to know. So there you have it folks.
That's most of my goals. I have a few others and I'm hoping Bobby and I can sit down and figure out some goals for the both of us. New years are great, a new start and new goals. I know I can't accomplish any of this on my own, it's only through my Savior that I can do anything. So that is what I cling to, that is my ultimate goal. I want to trust God with all of my life and live it to bring glory and honor to Him.
What are your goals for the New Year???
These days, I've chosen to make goals instead of resolutions. For me, "goals" is a much more manageable word. Don't ask me why because I honestly couldn't tell you why. It just makes me feel more at ease. Like I really could succeed with this goal. This year is no different. Bobby and I both told each other and wrote down our goals for the year. Our idea is to look at the goals throughout the year and see how we are doing. Some of our goals are the same, so that helps me keep on top of it, because I know Bobby will be asking me about it. So, here they are...my goals for 2012:
-Have my quiet time every day(this is a recurring goal I make every year!). This year I have a plan. Thanks to our senior pastor, we found some great Bible reading plans. You can check them out here. The plan we are using is the "Shirkers and Slackers" one. Yup, the name fit so that's what we are doing. And so far(4 days in), so good!
-Keep my house cleaned and organized. I found this site which has a printable/customizable Daily Plan of Attack that I am planning on using to help me accomplish this.
-A friend of mine also started a C.S. Lewis book challenge on facebook. I love C.S. Lewis so I was all in for this! The plan is to read all 22 of Lewis's major works. That's roughly 2 books a month with some leftover time at the end to catch up. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the first book, The Pilgrim's Regress, so I can get started!
- Read more "spiritual" books. I've looked at my reading lists for the past couple of years and noticed how few of those books are ones that nourish my soul. So, I've made a list with some books to read this year which include Kings Cross by Tim Keller, Because He Loves Me by Elise Fitzpatrick and several others.
-Exercise at least 4 times a week(schedule it and DO IT!). I joined a gym this past summer and have really enjoyed Zumba classes and being able to work out inside even when its blazing hot or freezing cold. Bobby's planning on joining this month, so working out together will really help me stick with it.
-Eat healthier and cut out sweets. You heard me, CUT OUT SWEETS! This is going to be a tough one for me, but I'm going to try to do this.
-Lose at least 20lbs by my birthday(May). I don't normally broadcast this kind of goal, but I figured if I really want to do it, I need others to know. So there you have it folks.
That's most of my goals. I have a few others and I'm hoping Bobby and I can sit down and figure out some goals for the both of us. New years are great, a new start and new goals. I know I can't accomplish any of this on my own, it's only through my Savior that I can do anything. So that is what I cling to, that is my ultimate goal. I want to trust God with all of my life and live it to bring glory and honor to Him.
What are your goals for the New Year???
Wow! That's like a lifetime of 'Jessica goals'... good luck! P.S. Losing weight has been the hardest and most depressing thing for me since we got married and I gained 30 lbs... (in the first year, lol). Anyway, I found a great app for my iphone, it's called MY FITNESS PAL. I've NEVER been a 'calorie counter'... but it really helped me:)
ReplyDeletei love using the word GOALS too :) praying that you find the strength to accomplish these!! gotta love a fresh new year and fresh focus!!
ReplyDelete