I was reading my Bible the other day and these verses jumped out at me. Wow. Do I love like this? Do I seek to outdo others by showing honor? Nope. More often than not I seek to outdo others in being funny, in the way I dress, in gossiping about what I know that they don't, in the petty meaningless things that so often take up my time.
It's funny how God reveals these verses to us, and brings them to our hearts and minds just when we need them. I've recently been talking with Bobby, my mom, my brother and sister-in-law about hospitality, or really just how we can open our lives to get to know other people. It's been convicting and eye-opening to how selfish I am. Bobby and I have some "core" friends. You know, those are the friends you can call no matter what, they are always available and they don't care if your house is a mess. There's nothing wrong with having these kinds of friends, actually I think it's imperative that we have these types of friends. Friends that you can talk about anything and everything with. But what is revealing is if these are the ONLY people you ever hang out with. Let me give you and example. Bobby and I had a free Friday night not that long ago. We were bored and wanted to hang out with people. We called our "core" people and none of them were available for different reasons. We thought about maybe calling someone we didn't know as well...but then decided against it because its too much work. See? See how selfish and not loving that is? I'm so thankful that God convicted us of this and that we have been able to talk through ideas of how to battle this with my family.
When it comes down to it, it's a heart issue. Sure, I'm busy. Bobby works a lot and has a crazy schedule. But that's no excuse. Being hospitable means opening our lives up to those around us. For me, it means inviting people into our home to share a meal and to talk about what God is doing in our lives. It means getting coffee with girls from care group and being real and open with them about my life. When I think about it, it's all about loving others more than I love myself. It's a genuine love. It's loving one another with brotherly affection. It's outdoing one another in showing honor. It's loving the way Christ first loved us.
Can I tell you that I am excited about this??!?? I am so thankful that my loving Father revealed this to me. What a great and wonderful God I serve!
Now, let's get practical. For me, it helps if I think of practical ways to apply this. How can I seek to show hospitality and love to those around me? Here's some things I thought of:
- Have people over during the week for dinner. So often I think when we have people over it has to be a weekend or Friday night so that they can stay late and hang out forever. But isn't it just as good to have someone over on a Tuesday, even if they only stay for dinner and then leave? I think so.
- Be plugged in to my care group. Build relationships with couples there. Be open and honest about where God has us. And come ready to encourage and love others, to talk to someone I don't normally talk to. To CARE.
- Text or call friends to let them know when I pray for them. And here's the kicker...actually pray for people! I don't want to throw around the "I'll be praying for you" phrase and not actually do it. I have several friends who will text or call to tell me they've been praying for me, and I know that they have. It's not just a phrase...I need to remember this.
Anyway, those are just some things I've been thinking through. I am excited to no longer be working so that I can, with God's help, do these things more.
It's funny how God reveals these verses to us, and brings them to our hearts and minds just when we need them. I've recently been talking with Bobby, my mom, my brother and sister-in-law about hospitality, or really just how we can open our lives to get to know other people. It's been convicting and eye-opening to how selfish I am. Bobby and I have some "core" friends. You know, those are the friends you can call no matter what, they are always available and they don't care if your house is a mess. There's nothing wrong with having these kinds of friends, actually I think it's imperative that we have these types of friends. Friends that you can talk about anything and everything with. But what is revealing is if these are the ONLY people you ever hang out with. Let me give you and example. Bobby and I had a free Friday night not that long ago. We were bored and wanted to hang out with people. We called our "core" people and none of them were available for different reasons. We thought about maybe calling someone we didn't know as well...but then decided against it because its too much work. See? See how selfish and not loving that is? I'm so thankful that God convicted us of this and that we have been able to talk through ideas of how to battle this with my family.
When it comes down to it, it's a heart issue. Sure, I'm busy. Bobby works a lot and has a crazy schedule. But that's no excuse. Being hospitable means opening our lives up to those around us. For me, it means inviting people into our home to share a meal and to talk about what God is doing in our lives. It means getting coffee with girls from care group and being real and open with them about my life. When I think about it, it's all about loving others more than I love myself. It's a genuine love. It's loving one another with brotherly affection. It's outdoing one another in showing honor. It's loving the way Christ first loved us.
Can I tell you that I am excited about this??!?? I am so thankful that my loving Father revealed this to me. What a great and wonderful God I serve!
Now, let's get practical. For me, it helps if I think of practical ways to apply this. How can I seek to show hospitality and love to those around me? Here's some things I thought of:
- Have people over during the week for dinner. So often I think when we have people over it has to be a weekend or Friday night so that they can stay late and hang out forever. But isn't it just as good to have someone over on a Tuesday, even if they only stay for dinner and then leave? I think so.
- Be plugged in to my care group. Build relationships with couples there. Be open and honest about where God has us. And come ready to encourage and love others, to talk to someone I don't normally talk to. To CARE.
- Text or call friends to let them know when I pray for them. And here's the kicker...actually pray for people! I don't want to throw around the "I'll be praying for you" phrase and not actually do it. I have several friends who will text or call to tell me they've been praying for me, and I know that they have. It's not just a phrase...I need to remember this.
Anyway, those are just some things I've been thinking through. I am excited to no longer be working so that I can, with God's help, do these things more.
Bekah, I've been in Romans 12-15 these last 2 weeks. Oh my goodness...keep reading. I love how God is highlighting different verses and provided opportunity to grow in putting God's Word to work in those very situations. I also love seeing how it's all connected. Loving others as God loves them is quite the foundation!
ReplyDeleteexcellent post, Bek. encouraging to see how the Lord is working in your life and so thankful you would be willing to share that beautiful journey with others here on your blog.
ReplyDelete